Techtronic Industries North America, Inc. Chief Engineer in Brookfield, Wisconsin
The primary duty for the position is to lead engineering in the development of products or the enhancement/value engineering of existing products.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate as a member of the department's management team in the development of product, process strategies, plans and improvement initiatives and other general management and administrative activities.
- Provides leadership over complex and high priority cost reduction & design improvement projects. Provides direction, guidance and engineering expertise to team members. Review work of designers, engineers and other project team members.
- Prepare project budgets, capital expenditure forecasts, status reports and other reports as necessary to effectively manage the project activity.
- Establish priorities to ensure that time tables and cost projections are met.
- Work cooperatively with the product management to ensure a coordinated marketing/customer sensitive product implementation.
- Interacts extensively with global manufacturing plants and outside suppliers to achieve project goals.
- Continually evaluate and improve the systems which monitor product development activities to ensure timely project completion within budget.
- Review design documentation to ensure that sound engineering practices are followed and that Milwaukee's Quality System requirements are adhered to.
- Identify and use new techniques and tools to the product development process to achieve cost reduction, design improvements and increase customer satisfaction.
- Analyze, evaluate and select cost effective & robust alternatives to best meet specification objectives and implement designs into mass production.
- Accountable for technical elements of project execution including integration of complicated components and assemblies, material selection, packaging and safety, regulatory and standards compliance.
- Coordinate Operational development, Value Engineering & product support activities with new product development projects.
- Track project schedules to ensure adherence to timelines as well as any associated VE targets.
- Prepare & present project status report for global monthly meetings and with executive management as required.
- Identify and work with outside technical resources on specific projects and/or products when appropriate; i.e., universities, consultants, Research and Development, suppliers, customers, etc.
- Perform administrative activities necessary for the effective management of direct reports, including pay administration, setting goals and objectives, and planning, organizing, integrating and measuring the work performed. Provide performance feedback to cross functional team members for performance reviews.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Requires a technical B. S. undergraduate degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering (a post graduate degree is desirable) plus seven to ten years' experience in leading engineering projects from concept to commercialization on time and within budget.
- Well-developed managerial skills combined with technical expertise along with a working knowledge of planning, budgets and financial analysis is essential for success in this position.
- Experience with injection molding, die-casting, stamping, grinding, turning, powdered metal, investment casting and material coatings.
- Supervisory experience of exempt level employees required.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled